Principal Engineer - Automation
Requisition Number: P9553
Cities: Hudson, Eau Claire, Menomonie
Join our Engineering team and and be a key resource with your experience in AUTOMATION of MANUFACTURING PROCESSES to assist our facilities in producing top quality medical devices for our customers! Work with facilities, vendors, suppliers, and experienced engineering teams through Phillips-Medisize, in Wisconsin as well as our global sites!
- Provide concept development, specification (URS authoring), and quoting of automation in support of new opportunities at the DDC or the US manufacturing facilities.
- Partner with the US supply chain organization to manage the US automation Approved Vendor List (AVL), including performing competency assessments for sources on the AVL to match vendors with suitable opportunities.
- Serve as the design for assembly / automation Subject Matter Expert for Phillips-Medisize development programs.
- Provide project-based technical assistance, as needed, serving as a project team member.
- Lead specification (URS authoring), sourcing, project management, and/or acceptance (FAT/SAT) of automation projects to support US manufacturing facilities or the design development center.
- Work with manufacturing facility engineering & management to identify opportunities for automation and robotics to reduce cost and improve quality, with a focus on flexible automation that can be used across multiple customer programs.
- Demonstrated flexibility to manage multiple projects and interface with teams at multiple facilities, including temporary assignments at facilities other than the assigned home base for this position.
- Lead company-wide Automation Council, focused on component standardization, education and exploration of new technologies, and development of automation best practices for Phillips-Medisize.
- Actively participate in continual improvement, corrective action and customer satisfaction
- Extended travel may be required to other facilities to support business needs
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications - Education & Experience
- Bachelors degree in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, manufacturing engineering, industrial technology, or equivalent mix or education and experience
- Minimum 10 years proven experience in automated machine design or assembly
- Experience with SolidWorks or other mechanical CAD systems
Qualifications - Skills & Competencies
- Understanding of GAMP methodology, ability to compose and execute FAT, SAT, IQ/OQ, and PQ validation phases
- Basic computer skills in MS Word, Excel and Project
- Working knowledge of machining processes to compliment “design for manufacturing and assembly
- Working knowledge of mechanical devices, such as indexers, pick & place mechanisms, sensors, PLCs, stepper and servo motors
- Strong commitment to proper safety precautions in design and practice
- Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong project management and documentation skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks, be flexible and self-directing
- Travel up to 30%, much of that day travel to P-M facilities and/or vendors.
This Position can be based at one of our other Phillips-Medisize sites in Wisconsin.