Principal Metrology Engineer
Requisition Number: P11689
Countries: Finland, Czech Republic, Ireland, The Netherlands, Denmark
Cities: Lehmo, Trhove Sviny, Letterkenny or Sligo, Hillegom, Struer
The Principal Metrology Engineer helps to set the Phillips-Medisize (PM) global vision for metrology and blueprint for how to get there. This position is a key part of the global quality organization and is responsible for directing and coordinating process improvement activities for the PM metrology labs, in addition to growing metrology as a critical competency within the PM organization. As a global leader and technical expert, the selected candidate will be responsible for the manpower plans, scheduling, equipment/facility requirements, and metrology engineering, supporting calibration and development of all metrology products. As a key leader, the position provides strategic thought leadership, collaborative solutions and influences process and outcomes. Qualified candidates will have demonstrated success leading broad organization changes within cost and schedule while achieving client expectations and focusing on organization and team success. The position requires a solution-based orientation, unwavering ethics and values, and a demonstrated commitment to a ‘culture of quality.’
- This position can be based in the US or EU. Extensive travel (40-60%) is expected. The position will have functional responsibility and leadership but no direct reports
- Communicate and demonstrate a commitment to a culture of quality through championing change at all levels of the organization.
- Plans, communicates, and assists with the implementation of global metrology standards and policies that are harmonized between the regions.
- Directly works with site metrology leaders to establish standardized metrology lab practices, visual factory management, mistake and error proofing, and benchmarks for best practices.
- Establishes a Phillips-Medisize (PM) Global Metrology Council to leverage best practice, cross-promote learnings with other PMC Councils, and to identify changing regulatory / industry standards that impact the PM Global Quality System.
- Drive standardization in metrology approach to capacity planning and work scheduling.
- Drives GLSS (Global Lean Six Sigma) Initiatives in the metrology laboratories for enhancing safety, compliance, operational efficiencies and cost savings.
- Define and establish Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to review at the site and regional level to monitor site performance.
- Effectively partner with Global Engineering and other key stakeholders to standardize and simplify the processes for the identification of metrology tooling, fixtures, and training aides to ensure customer projects and programs are executed on time and at cost.
- Plan and manage the global standardization of site metrology spending through the identification of best in class capital equipment (test measuring), approved outsourced suppliers, and other commodity driven categories.
- Responsible for performing/supporting quality investigations in a timely and thorough manner per applicable investigation procedures.
- Serves as the global subject matter expert to provide support during key customer and regulatory inspections, reviews and on-site meetings.
- Provide internal and external regulatory/customer inspection support as needed.
- Will not have direct reports; will lead the metrology function.
- Extensive travel in the US and to other global company facilities is expected (40-60%).
Other duties as assigned
Qualifications - Education & Experience
Bachelor’s Degree with a concentration in engineering, chemistry, mathematics or materials science preferred (or) completion of a Journeyman Apprenticeship Program with significant experience. Preference will be given to candidates with strong engineering and polymer science backgrounds.
- 7+ years of experience leading metrology and laboratory testing operations.
- 5+years of experience with ISO 9001, 13498, TS 16949, FDA QSR, and Quality system requirements in other geographies.
- 6+ years of experience preferred with product development, design and process transfer, risk management, and reliability engineering.
Qualifications - Skills & Competencies
- A true leader, not just a technical expert. Must be strategic and tactical with the ability to build positive relationships at all levels. Strong technical and problem-solving skills required.
- Strong leadership and managerial presence by being tip of the spear for customer interface and business development.
- Strong written, verbal, organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Ability to work across functional and geographic boundaries in matrixed. organizations and communicate effectively throughout the organization is essential
- Direct, expert knowledge of ISO 9001 and TS 16949 Standards. In addition, candidates with a background in ISO 13485 will be given high priority.
- Experience with product development, risk management, New Product Introductions (NPI).
- Strong understanding of PPAP; 8D and other similar problem solving platforms.
- Should have a solid practical application and understanding of Lean Six Sigma (LSS) principles and practices. LSS Black Belt or Green Belt is a plus.
- Demonstrate high technical skills; apply sound engineering judgment, technical writing skills, statistical skills, and critical thinking in product development activities and resolution of quality issues. Creatively and effectively challenges status quo
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: To be considered for this position, please submit your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org, for immediate consideration!